Tuesday 24 November 2015

INSEAD Interview #1

Following the email invitation to interview from INSEAD, I was sent the contact details of the two INSEAD alumni and instructed to arrange interviews with them.

My first interview was an alumni working as a Relationship Manager at a bank. Surprisingly, I was invited to his home for the interview as he lived not too far from me. Most of the reports I read about INSEAD interviews was that it was conversational. This was true of my first interview. It was really casual - so much so my interviewer told me he was just about to vacuum when I arrived! 

Contrary to what I expected, there weren't a whole lot of questions asked. He started of telling a bit about himself as his background was entirely different to mine and then got me to talk through my CV, why I wanted to do an MBA and why INSEAD - questions that were entirely expected. Then he asked about my goals and about team work and what my leadership style was. There was also some discussion about whether I'd dealt with conflict and what sort of cultural diversity was in my workplace. 

All the questions were easy to answer and we got along well. He also asked me at the end if there was anything he hadn't asked about that I really wanted to talk about which gave me the chance to throw in a few things about my charity work. The last part of the interview was him answering my questions for him and giving me advice on how to get the most out of the programme.

Unfortunately as he had graduated quite some time ago, there was not a whole lot of specifics he could provide that were still very relevant. Quite a few of the questions I had pre-prepared thus had to be thrown out. However, I felt I still got quite a bit of useful advice and insight into the MBA program at INSEAD in general.  Out of all the business schools, I would say I've had the most positive interactions with INSEADers and my interview with him definitely reinforced this perception.

Read how my second INSEAD interview went on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment